|2nd track of the album Primitive|
|Sung by||Max Cavalera, Grady Avenell, Chino Moreno|
|Lyrics by||Max Cavalera, Chino Moreno, Grady Avenell|
|Composed by||Max Cavalera|
|Produced by||Toby Wright, Max Cavalera|
| Previous track|
"Back to the Primitive"
| Next track|
"Pain" is a song recorded by Soulfly. It is played as the second track of the 2000 album Primitive. This is the second Soulfly song where the guest Chino Moreno of Deftones is featured, again tributing to Max Cavalera's friend and stepson Dana Wells, whose life was cut short, as well as Cavalera's father who was killed by a heart attack.
The song title was inspired from Max's pains he went through from deaths of family members. The lyrics, written by Max himself, and guests Chino Moreno and Grady Avenell, is about covering up murder. The quoted last two lines of the lyrics are voice samples of Dana Wells prior to his death.
Speak up - you know what is up
Code of silence?! Who set you up?!
Some shit so wrong in this world
It's all fucked up now you're gone
Speak up - you know what went on
How could you let it go?
It's murder you covered up
Stained blood on your soul
Down on my knees
Hands stretched to heaven above
Christ this pain is hard to live with
Don't fill my heart with love
Engulf my heart with vengeance
You need to see our pain
Don't fill this heart with love
The truth needs to be told
You can't mask
You can't mask
Friday I was freaking out"
- Max Cavalera – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Mikey Doling – lead guitar
- Marcelo Dias – bass guitar, percussion, backing vocals
- Joe Nuñez – drums, percussion
- Toby Wright – engineering, recording, drum programming, digital editing, production
- Steve Sisco – mix engineering
- Lance Dean – additional and assistant engineering
- John Watkinson Gray – assistant engineering
- Andy Wallace – mixing
- George Marino – mastering
- Max Cavalera – co-production, mastermind supervisor
Live-only songs on various albums